I started my career in the early 1990s as a marine biologist and professional diver, and even worked as a dolphin trainer at the University of Hawaii.
I enjoyed a diverse career of 18 years with the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), serving in various roles in research and international development.
I spent 10 years in Southeast Asia, leading a team that developed a global information management system on coral reefs, and received the CGIAR Science Support Team award in 2009.
Between 2009 and 2016, I held several management positions in iNGOs in Europe and Africa with a focus on gender & diversity and monitoring & evaluation of capacity building programs.
Since 2017, I’ve served as Deputy Chief of Party and Senior Adviser for Organization Development for USAID’s Africa Lead program.
My professional journey of nearly 20 years helps me in my role as a trusted executive coach, trainer, consultant. I know what it takes to be successful, and I made my share of mistakes. I learned from both sets of experiences and I help my clients do the same.
❝Marco was a tremendous coach to me. His wisdom, kind yet firm approach, and technical knowledge of the diversity of tools I could use to navigate my leadership challenges, made all the difference.❞
Dr. Wanjiru Kamau-Rutenberg
World Agroforestry Centre
❝Marco’s coaching work has been invaluable and effective. Indeed, the results were quickly felt as much in the improvement of the team work in the Department as in the realization of my own objectives.❞
Corporate Services Director (acting)
Technical Centre for Agricultral and Rural Cooperation
❝Marco, your webinar on mentoring for capacity building in international development was first-rate: concise, articulate, well-paced and formulated and with superb use of PowerPoint. It was a pleasure working with you.❞
- Certified Executive & Organizational Coach (Columbia University)
- Certificate in Strategic Human Resources Management (Cornell University, ongoing)
- Certified in Change & Conflict Management (Kilmann Diagnostics)
- Certified in Coaching Across Cultures (Rosinski & Company)
- Certified Trainer for Points of You
- Certified in Kirkpatrick Training Evaluation
- Licensed Facilitator of The Coaching Clinic (Corporate CoachU)
- Certified Administrator of The Leadership Circle 360 assessments
- Certified in Organization Diagnosis (Community At Work)
- Master of Science in Environmental Management (University of Amsterdam)
- Master of Science in Biology (University of Amsterdam)
❝A big thank you for your excellent work at our Division’s team retreat. We were very pleased with how it went and your facilitation.❞
Deputy Director, Communications Division
UN Environment (UNEP)
❝Five stars all the way. We got deep into the materials, but it never felt dense. Marco, your coaching skills training was extremely well-paced and facilitated.❞
Dr. Steve Smith
Regional Director, East & Southern Africa
❝Through wisely designed coaching sessions I initiated several changes in our office and feel I’m different and more confident.❞
Dr. Amare Haileslassie
Head of Office for East Africa and Nile Basin
Interntaional Water Management Institute (IWMI)
- Affiliate Coach with Africa Board for Coaching, Consulting & Coaching Psychology (ABCCCP)
- Member of the International Coach Federation (ICF)
- Affiliate Member of the International Society for Coaching Psychology (ISCP)
- Member of the Asia-Pacific Alliance of Coaches (APAC)
- Member of the European Mentoring & Coaching Council (EMCC)
- Member of the Association for Human Resources Management in International Organizations (AHRMIO)